Sunday, January 16, 2011

I Quit!

I quit my job last week. I decided on Wednesday that I just couldn't take it anymore. For weeks I hadn't done any of the work that was in my job description, instead I had been filling my days learning random things on wikipedia, and doing other odd jobs they assigned me. Until they asked me to start spending my entire day on google, searching for new companies and email addresses to add to their database so they could send them 1,000,000 spam emails every day. No joke. The company I worked for was ridiculous.

One day at work I discovered an article about companies that offer fake conferences...a scam to get peoples credit card numbers. Well, the company I worked for is real, but all the comments on the article I read were about this company were people who were 110% convinced it was fake because of the poor English and the sheer amount of crap they sent out everyday. People had copy/pasted the whole email they'd received from my company into the comments section and then proceed to make fun of it. I tried a couple of times to tell various people at work that I could help them out and fix their emails, but no one wanted any help. They had done it for years without me and figured they could go on just the same. Here's the article I read if anyone is interested.

I lasted less than a day once they assigned me to this new job. I came home Wednesday night and told Nick I had to quit. Thursday morning I talked to my boss. I was going to give 2 weeks notice, but was informed that they really didn't have any work for me to do, so that could be my last day! That was great news! The longer I worked there the more I realized I was just a face. They wanted to take my picture and make promotional videos, and be able to bring people to meet me when they visited the office. I didn't do any real work after the first week I worked there, even though there were plenty of things they needed help with. Oh well.

I have an interview for a part time teaching position tomorrow. I also have a couple other opportunities to tutor. I think I'll be able to keep myself busy, and make just as much as I did at my job, but with a much more flexible schedule.

It felt so good this morning to sleep in til 7 and not have to face the cold, or an awful commute.

No comments:

Post a Comment