Saturday, February 5, 2011

Foot Binding

I had heard about this before but I never thought I would ever get to meet someone who had their feet bound. Today we were invited to our aiyi's house for lunch. Her husbands mother lives there with them. She is 88 and has the tiniest feet I've ever seen. She commented first on the size of our feet and held up her own. Nick talked with her and she told him about having her feet bound.

Her parents did it when she was 6 years old, so her feet are the size of a 6 year old girls. They bound up her feet and then crushed the bones. She told us for about 5 years she was unable to walk outside her house. She only moved when absolutely necessary. She lived before TVs and her family couldn't afford books so she sat all day long. She was so young and went through something so painful. I can't even imagine what it must have been like for her and yet she was the cutest little lady with such a positive attitude. She was very happy and told us she still goes down 3 flights of stairs to go out walking for exercise everyday.

I'm glad we got the chance to meet her and get to know her story. Its very humbling to meet someone who has gone through so much and then to think about all the silly things I complain about daily. It was a good lesson.

Here is a picture of her foot next to Nick's.

No comments:

Post a Comment