Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Chinese haircut

I put it off as long as possible. This was actually the first haircut I've had in China. During the 18 months that we've lived here I managed to wait until our scheduled trips home for haircuts. This time though I am here til at least July and waiting was no longer an option. I'm still not brave enough to go get my hair colored here. I know there are a few places I could go, but they are expensive and I'm lazy.

I ended up just going to the local salon across the street from our old apartment where Nick has had his hair cut a few times. I took this picture with me to give them an idea of what I wanted. I didn't want to walk away with a mullet, and this picture looked like it would be pretty hard for them to mess up.


When I got there I had to choose which level of stylist I wanted. I had never heard of this before, but apparently the more training they have, the more you have to pay.  There were 4 levels starting at 38 RMB for the lowest. The highest was 280RMB. I decided to go for the third since it less than half the price. I paid 128RMB and was pretty happy with the results. I made Nick go with me and explain everything and then let them start cutting.


I think the guy who did my hair was pretty nervous. He was very meticulous. When he started he was only going to cut off about 1/4 inch. I made him go back and take off another inch, but it took quite a bit of pushing to get him to do it. (It had been 6 months since my last cut so I definitely needed that much trimmed) I have never had a haircut before where they cut off less than I wanted. Usually at home I have the opposite problem. My hair always ends up shorter than I would like.

Overall I had a pretty good experience. I have heard some horror stories about haircuts here, but I have no complaints. I did spend a little extra time in the chair while he dried my hair and everyone else in the salon walked by at some point to watch. A few people even came by to touch my hair because its so fine and hence so much softer than most Chinese girls thicker hair.

Now I just have to live with my "OMBRE" look til I can get my hair colored in July or August...

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if Nick has any horror stories about when a barber tries to straight razor hairs on the back of the neck. I had a companion whose mole lost that fight.

    ReplyDelete