Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Pad Thai Recipe


The Pad Thai recipe has a few ingredients that I had never seen before. I've included some links so you can see what they look like. You might be able to find substitutes on google, but I really recommend trying to find these if you can at an Asian market or online. This was the yummiest pad thai I've ever had and I made it myself! 

1 chicken breast sliced
2 cloves garlic minced
1 egg
½ carrot shredded
½ bunch chives
bean sprouts
1 handful fresh rice noodles
4 tsp sugar
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tsp chili sauce
lime for garnish
1 tsp margarine
2 tbsp oil

Heat margarine and oil over medium heat. Add the garlic. When it starts to turn yellow add the chicken. When chicken is half cooked add the egg. After that is cooked through add the salted radish and the noodles.

 If you have fresh noodles there is no need to soak them before adding them to the wok. Just through them in and add about a half cup of water to cook the noodles. This is where I learned it is easier to flip the noodles in the pan with one hand rather than stirring them around with a spoon. Taste noodles and if they aren’t quite cooked all the way add a bit more water at a time til they are done.

Turn the heat to low. Add 2 Tbsp of the tamarind paste/water mixture, the sugar, fish sauce and chili sauce to the wok. Stir it around and taste the sauce to make sure you like it. If it is too sour (from the tamarind) add a bit more sugar, if its too sweet add a little more of the tamarind mixture.

Add the carrot, chives, and bean sprouts and cook for 30 seconds then remove from the heat.  Serve with lime on the side.

Makes 1 serving 

If anyone tries these recipes let me know how they turn out. I am going on a quest to find some of the ingredients next week since I am having some serious Thai food withdrawals!

No comments:

Post a Comment