Monday, May 16, 2011

Beijing Tailors

For months we have been planning on getting Nick a new suit made. Every weekend we would get lazy or something else would come up. We finally motivated ourselves one day when Nick had a holiday from work. (They have a lot of random days off here...It's great!)

There are a lot of tailor shops that I have seen around town, but we just went to the Silk Market for convenience. We didn't want to have to go pick out fabric at one store and then take it to the tailor. There are about 10-15 different tailoring shops at the Silk Market. We went to most of them to look at the fabric selection and bargain for a good price. Nick almost made the decision based on the pictures one store was displaying. They had made a suit for Paul Pierce and had a picture with him in their shop. He was impressed. We ended up at a different store though and got this suit made for 700 RMB including the fabric. Hopefully we got a decent deal. I haven't heard from too many people how much they paid.



We went to the store for the first time on Friday afternoon. Nick was measured for the suit and a few new shirts as well. He had the first fitting on Monday afternoon, and on Tuesday I picked up the suit for him. I can't believe how fast they get things done. I am thinking of getting a new coat made next winter. They had some nice ones displayed, and my coat last winter in Dalian got pretty beat up. I'll be googling pictures for the next few months til I find one I love, then it will be my turn to head to the tailor.

I did get myself a little present while picking up Nick's new clothes. A friend from our branch came with me because she needed new shoes, while she was bargaining I wandered off and ended up with 3 new pairs of TOMS. I got such a good deal I couldn't resist. Plus, I couldn't decide between the black, grey and pink ones. The Silk Market is still a dangerous place for me to go unless I leave my wallet at home.

2 comments:

  1. Ken's first suit was 800 then the next one 550...so it does help to do repeat business...and the fabric determines the price. So I would say you did a good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok....I am so excited to shop! Dad is gonna love getting his suit!

    ReplyDelete