Sunday, March 13, 2011

Getting Settled

We have been in Beijing for a week now and it has been crazy. We have had so many little things pop up that need to get taken care of right away to make us comfortable here. I feel like we have been running around non-stop. Things are finally starting to slow down now though. Thank goodness! Our internet connection here has been a little slow, but hopefully it will speed up now that some big meeting that was going on is over. I will try to post pictures soon, for now I'm just thankful I can check my email.

I have a job interview today. It's for a Chinese company that teaches SAT prep classes. I had to take a practice test to prove I know whats on the SAT and am capable of teaching others about it. It was a little crazy to use that part of my brain again. Hopefully I did okay or I can say bye bye to this job.

Nick is busy with work. His office is close to our apartment so he can just walk over in the mornings. It's weird not having him around all day. I still called him today to have him order my lunch for me. Slowly I'll learn my way around Beijing and be more independent. It took me a little longer in Dalian to find all the good import stores and restaurants I like. I have already found a few here in Beijing. I like to tell myself its because I'm really good at China, but its probably due to the fact that there are more expats here in Beijing so they are catered to more.

Our first Sunday was good. We like the branch here. It's a big, diverse group and we think it will be a lot of fun. There's a good mix of American, Taiwanese and Korean people so there was lots of translating going on. I might even get a chance to practice my Spanish here! There is one family that speaks Spanish in the branch and hardly any English so the meetings are translated for them. One guy has been doing it, but I heard he could use some help. That would be fun, and good practice for me.

That's all for now. We love Beijing!

No comments:

Post a Comment