Tuesday, September 21, 2010

First week in Dalian!

Wow, we have had a busy week! It all started at 4 am last Tuesday, we had to get our 7 bags onto the hotel shuttle to head to the airport. After getting our bags checked (4 of which were overweight even after all the weighing and shuffling around we did) we could relax a little. We had a fun layover in Seattle spent with Anne, Allie, Luke and Ava. It was fun to get out of the airport and see them. Then we had the long flight over to South Korea. We watched a lot of movies! After that it was just a short little flight to Dalian, but by the time we got on the last flight we were both exhausted. I fell asleep immediately and didn't even notice the flight attendant had put food down on the tray table in front of me until we were landing.

We got a taxi, and somehow he managed to fit all our bags and us inside, and headed to the hotel. It was quite the adventure as the trunk wouldn't close, and bags filled up every space imaginable. Not to mention that driving here is a whole new experience. People weave in and out of lanes and get so close to each other it still makes me jumpy every time I get in a car. The taxi drivers are used to it though, and have very quick reflexes!

Our first few nights we spent at the Howard Johnson hotel in Dalian while we met with a realtor and looked at apartments. We found one we both love and were able to move in after only 2 days. We are on the 29th floor of our building and have an amazing ocean view. Our apartment has 2 bedrooms, but one of them we are using as Nick's office. There are 2 bathrooms, a pretty normal kitchen, a big living/dining area and a balcony overlooking the water. We are super happy and settling in comfortably.

Nick is now in Beijing for a few days for work, and I am on my own at home. I don't know how much I'll venture out on my own just yet, but I've got lots of catching up to do on our blog and plenty of books to read. Not to mention about 7 channels in English on the satellite TV. I got a job that starts next week, so I'll be plenty busy soon enough. I'll post more details about that later on.

Dalian is great! We are both excited for the next few years.



Just a little preview of more pictures to come. This is my view while writing this blog.

2 comments:

  1. YAY, glad you guys made it there ok. And what is Nick doing for work? And how about you? Whatever brought this big decision to move to China? Tell more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad was invited out on the town. Sniff.

    ReplyDelete