Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Hink takes matters into his own hands

Sunday night I put Hink back to bed after his bottle. He was sleeping peacefully while I sat down to pump. He was quiet as could be for about 10 minutes, and then I heard little whimpers. I walked over to check on him and he had pulled out his own feeding tube. The tip of it was just stuck in his nose and was bothering him, so I pulled it the rest of the way out.

I knew this would probably happen sooner rather than later since Hink loves to have his hands up by his face. Every single time we swaddle him, he has worked his hands out in about 2 minutes. He just sleeps more comfortably that way. His long fingers were always getting wrapped up in the feeding tube. This time I wasn't there to stop him from tugging.

I'm actually rather glad he pulled it out. It was really irritating his nose and throat and making him an unhappy baby. He has been eating great since he pulled it out, and definitely sleeps more comfortably. We go back to the doctor next Monday to make sure that he is still gaining weight without it, but I am not worried. He is much stronger than he was before and can finish his bottle much faster. Now if only he will learn to breastfeed so I can skip a few steps every feeding time (ie- sterilizing the bottles, fortifying the milk, warming the milk, and pumping).

Hink is making progress each day. In the week that we have been home from the hospital I feel like he is a completely different baby. He is definitely fatter and much stronger. He is alert more and more each day too (usually in the middle of the night!) Nick bought a new fancy camera, so we can remember him at all these fun stages. I see my friends babies here and I can't believe he will ever be that big, but I know it will happen way too quick. I'll post pictures soon if the internet will cooperate with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment