Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Summer Palace

Our internet connection has been sporadic the past couple of weeks, but I am finally going to post more pictures from Nick's parents visit.

We spent a morning at the Summer Palace. It was my first time there. I loved it. The day we went was beautiful. It was sunny and the air was actually pretty clear. This was following a few really nasty rainy days so it was especially nice.

So here's a mini history lesson on the Summer Palace, then I'll post the pictures. It was first constructed in 1750, but was destroyed and then rebuilt and then damaged and repaired again. It served as a summer resort for Empress Dowager Cixi (probably how it got its name) during the Qing Dynasty. The Summer Palace mostly consists of a large lake and a hill with many different buildings. It was quite a hike up the hill to see them, but they were worth it. I've never seen anything like it. Nick tells me once you've seen one palace/temple in China you've seen them all, but since this was my first it was really interesting.







2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to see pictures of Gail and Barry's visit. I loved the Summer Palace when we were in Beijing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't know, I have seen a few temples/palaces and I think this is my favorite too.

    ReplyDelete